[Kde-pim] KDE PIM bug triage / developer sprint anyone?

David Narvaez david.narvaez at computer.org
Wed Oct 19 16:18:50 BST 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Milian Wolff <mail at milianw.de> wrote:
> Stephan Diestelhorst, 19.10.2011:
>> Some background, skip possibly:
>> I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the way bugs pile up and
>> are not handled.
>> This has prompted me to actually look into the source and pinpoint the
>> offending change set (regression!), however, the fix was not straight
>> forward, so I am depending
>> on the author of that changeset. That has been sitting idle for
>> several weeks now.
>> Note: Not pointing fingers here, so please stay cool.
>>
>> Now the real part:
>> What I think has already been lamented is the lack of bug triaging and
>> leadership for
>> this project in particular. What I would like to propose in order to
>> help here is a bug
>> triaging and squashing sprint. It would at least allow me to have
>> synchronous communication with the people who know how things are supposed
>> to work but have not enough time to fix all the bugs. I believe this might
>> be
>> beneficial for the project as
>> a whole.
>>
>> So.. are there any plans for having a developer sprint soon? The ones on
>> https://sprints.kde.org/sprint do not really touch KDE PIM. If not,
>> would people be
>> interested to have one? If this becomes a yes, I would actually spare
>> up to one week
>> of vacation for this, and can offer to organise things locally, if
>> Dresden (Eastern
>> Germany) would fit as a location.
>
> You mean this one which you missed by a few days:
>
> http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Meetings/KMail_Stabilization_Sprint_2011

That's mainly focusing on KMail, there are many issues elsewhere in KDE PIM.

> Furthermore: I'm in a similar situation like you. I also fix bugs I notice in
> KDEPim and usually I don't have to wait for more than a few hours/days before
> I get a response. What channels do you use for discussion? I suggest using
> #kontact and/or #akonadi on FreeNode irc. Some pim people are usually around
> and very helpful. Same goes imo for the Pim mailing list...

Depending on the area in KDE PIM, that may or may not be true. I have
a patch pending reviews for more than a week now (which actually tries
to fix a regression reported by Stephan himself), two unanswered
threads in this mailing list to start tackling sensitive* bugs in
Akonadi and a list of open bugs that may be fixed with that work which
has not even started yet. I went impatient and tried looking for
guidance at #akonadi and didn't find help because, as David Faure
mentioned, the knowledge about models is concentrated in very few
people.

As long as we don't get an answer from them, we're pretty much stuck
here. I'm obviously not pointing fingers as I can't expect KDE
volunteers to sit around all day waiting for fellow developers to ask
questions. What I'm trying to say is I'm all into Stephan's idea of
organizing a sync'ed session with the people that knows what should be
done and can guide us on what to do - then we can code changes, make
tests, submit patches for review and help fixing those bugs. This
depends entirely on the people that know what to do, so I'd wait for
them to propose dates and times and then plan accordingly. I'd also
add to Stephan's idea a documentation sprint, where we can upload
diagrams and insight to the techbase so that we can start spreading
the knowledge.

David E. Narvaez

* Before starting a flame war on the definition of sensitive, here it
means a bug that can be easily triggered and affects other components
(e.g., iCal crashing Plasma) but it's obviously a subjective
definition