[Kde-pim] Re: do we have internal specifications for kmail?

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Mon May 16 01:20:08 BST 2011

Hi Guy,

On Sunday, May 15, 2011 01:40:42 PM Guy Maurel wrote:
> I have still cannot migrate. I wrote about this:
>   "KMail encountered a fatal error and will terminate now.
>   "on 04/18/11 07:04 PM"
>
> It was untill now impossible to find anybody who could point me to any part
> of kmail where there problem might be.
>
> So I try to anderstand some (many) parts of the code, but cannot prove if
> they are really working well.
> It is very difficult to find which parts might have an impact of my
> problem.
>
> My question is: do we have internal specifications for kmail?
> I think it could be an important help for me and the next newcommers.

I agree that an overview documentation of KMail is important, especially for
people new to the codebase. I wrote such a documentation for KMime and
messageviewer, however other parts such as messagecomposer and KMail
unfortunately lack such documentation.

About the error message with the fatal error: That seems to happen because
there was an error when the KMKernel tries to retrieve/create special
collections like inbox, sent-mail, trash etc, looks like you already know
that. This is all done by the special collection classes inside of the Akonadi
library, which you looked at. I don't know if the bug is in the special
collections classes or somewhere else.

Regards,
Thomas