[Kde-pim] Re: new Note class, a KMime::Message::Ptr wrapper

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Sat May 7 14:55:09 BST 2011

On Fri, 06 May 2011 17:08:50 +0200, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Christian Mollekopf wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working on a notefeederagent for the akonotes resource, and
>> therefore
>> I wrote a small helper class (basically the KMime::Message::Ptr wrapper
>> planned in akonadi_next).
>
> That's cool, thanks for working on it.
>
>> Now I think this class should go into kdepimlibs, as it would be useful
>> for all apps using notes (kjots and my app atm.), but I don't know where
>> exactly.
>
> Something like this probably belongs in kdepimlibs/akonadi/notes or
> similar.
> There's equivalents for contacts and calendars etc already.
>

>> Maybe into the akonadi folder?
>>
>> I already attached the classes so maybe you can already give them a
>> quick
>> look (steven?)
>
> I agree with the convenience of the class I'm not sure about the content
> of
> the class. I'd like it to be possible to have inline images etc in notes
> and
> generally be more aware of QTextDocument and related classes so that we
> can
> extend it to embedded media and semantic links etc on the QTextDocument
> level. That's what I'd like the Note class to be. There's a bit more
> research needed into QTextDocument needed first though I think.

Yes, such a note class should definitely be the long term goal.

For now I think we just need the message function and the mimetype and
icon name available.
This would allow for deduplication in kjots, my app (MindMirror, ex.
notetaker) and the notefeeder I am working on.

So, to keep the Note class available for the above version, I would
suggest to put this code as NoteMessageWrapper into
kdepimlibs/akonadi/notes/noteutils.h,
the namespace and icon name could go as free functions into the NoteUtils
namespace.

Would that be ok?