[Kde-pim] Re: KMail - do distribution lists work ??

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Mar 10 10:26:30 GMT 2011

On Thursday 10 March 2011 01:23:28 Peter wrote:
> > OTOH, KAddressBook allows you to create a group,
> > then select existing addresses to add to the group.  Which method do you
> > use?
>
> I have tried to create a group via Kontact and KAddressbook. It seems
> Kontact  actually did save them, if I used the 'personal contacts' type
> storage. That said, I couldn't see them in KMail.
>

> > My group (which works) was created in KAddressBook.  It's possible that
> > the old-style distribution list creation is the problem.
>
> The only groups that will show in KMail, under KAddressbook are the ones
> of  the 'vcard' type, stored at !/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf

That sounds to me as though you may not have "Personal Contacts" (pointing to
~/.local/share/contacts) set as your default addressbook.

Again, this sounds like a version problem.  I used to see this, but for some
time now I've seen it ask me which addressbook I want things added to.

FWIW, what I find works really well is to have Personal Contacts as my default
addressbook, and add all addresses initially to that, copying them from
std.vcf if necessary.  Then create Address Folders for the different type of
contacts.  You can either copy or move entries from the main folder to those
subfolders.  Not being a developer, I'm making guesses, but it seems to me
that they remain part of the main addressbook but have a tag or flag to mark
them as a sub-group.  Whatever, it works well for me.

Again, I stress, it sounds as though you need a later version.

Anne