[Kde-pim] Re: KMail - do distribution lists work ??

Peter peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 10 11:10:18 GMT 2011

On Thursday 10 March 2011 21:26:30 you wrote:
> On Thursday 10 March 2011 01:23:28 Peter wrote:
> > > OTOH, KAddressBook allows you to create a group,
> > > then select existing addresses to add to the group.  Which method do
> > > you use?
> >
> > I have tried to create a group via Kontact and KAddressbook. It seems
> > Kontact  actually did save them, if I used the 'personal contacts' type
> > storage. That said, I couldn't see them in KMail.
> >
> > > My group (which works) was created in KAddressBook.  It's possible that
> > > the old-style distribution list creation is the problem.
> >
> > The only groups that will show in KMail, under KAddressbook are the ones
> > of  the 'vcard' type, stored at !/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf
>
> That sounds to me as though you may not have "Personal Contacts" (pointing
> to ~/.local/share/contacts) set as your default addressbook.

I'm finding that Kontact will only 'open' once, seems it is really 'broke'. If
I try to access it again, it refuses to open. Same with KAddressbook, can't
even access it from KMail. They can be accessed after rebooting, but that just
reminds me of windooze days, .. no thanks.

> FWIW, what I find works really well is to have Personal Contacts as my
> default addressbook, and add all addresses initially to that, copying them
> from std.vcf if necessary.

What 'type' do you add it as, file, folder , etc ??

> Then create Address Folders for the different
> type of contacts.

Do you mean groups/ditribution lists ?

> You can either copy or move entries from the main
> folder to those subfolders.  Not being a developer, I'm making guesses,
> but it seems to me that they remain part of the main addressbook but have
> a tag or flag to mark them as a sub-group.  Whatever, it works well for
> me.

Any 'sub'  seems to be referenced in the XML file by a UID, that way only need
to have all the contact details for one person in one place, and the other
(sub) places just reference by UID I assume.

> Again, I stress, it sounds as though you need a later version.

I'm already fully updated with Ubuntu, for this version. Have checked for
backpotrs on this version, for KMail, Kontact, etc, and there are none.

Thanks for your help,

Peter