[Kde-pim] Re: KMail - do distribution lists work ??

Peter peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 10 01:12:21 GMT 2011

Hi Russ,

On Thursday 10 March 2011 04:09:22 you wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 09, 2011 03:13:04 AM Peter wrote:

> this

> saw that

> Groups email

> assuring, as

> test email

> the

> see all the

> they

> > > If it is, why would it work on my Fedora laptop?
> >
> > I don't know, As Russ said, it won't work with openSUSE 11.3 and
>
> 11.4, and
>
> > KMail 1.13.6.
> >
> > > As I suggested earlier, maybe it is a version problem - I have
> > >
> > > Kontact Version 4.4.10
> > > KMail Version 1.13.6
> > > KAddressBook Version 4.4.10 -  all 32-bit
> >
> > It appears to be a Kontact problem. I have Kontact 4.4.8
> >
> > I'm no expert though, but it seems KMail can only 'get' what's in
>
> the Kontact/
>
> > KAddressBook data, and as there is nothing in the dist. lists I have
>
> tested,
>
> > KMail cannot 'add' anything. Exactly the same thing happens for me,
>
> as for
>
> > Russ, the name 'test' was put in the "TO" and my local domain name
>
> added. Of
>
> > course it bounced.
> >
> > So, my miniscual testing has shown that in Kontact, it does add
>
> contacts to a
>
> > dist. list, they show in the very right had window, but disappear
>
> after
>
> > approx. 5 seconds. So, Kontact is unable to store the data
>
> permanently. Along
>
> > comes KMail, it attempts to get the dist. list, but it is empty.
> >
> > Yes, could be a version problem.
> >
> > > Doesn't Kubuntu offer KMail 1.13.6?  If it does, try it.
> >
> > I'm running Ubuntu, not the latest on the 64 bit machine though. I
>
> could check
>
> > and see what package is included in later version of Ubuntu though.
>
> But, I see
>
> > it as a Kontact problem, not a KMail one. KMail can only 'get' what
>
> is stored,
>
> > and there were previous issues with the cache from Kontact giving
>
> some
>
> > 'delay'; some old posts in KDE forums.
> >
> > Peter

> I have to agree with Peter except my contacts in the distribution list
> do not disappear. If I go into Kmail (1.13.6) select new message,
> select distribution lists and the hold my mouse over one of the seven
> lists (groups) shown, the list of names (23 for the one listed below
> NWLERC) and email addresses appear for that group. If I add it to the
> email, it shows the group name correctly. If I send it, and then go to
> sent mail and display the message (say send again), The domain name
> has been added. I also get a bounce message from my ISP, cannot find
> the domain (example NWLERC comes back as NWLERC -linux-98qc.)

Mine definitely disappear. I thought to try KAddressbook, however the same
problem exists there. Then I added a new address book under Kontact, but made
it not the 'KDE traditional addressbook', but the 'Personal Contacts' one.
Then added a new group, added 3 test emails to it, counted t 5, expecting the
contacts to disappear, but they stayed there. The data is located in a
different spot, at ~/.local/share/contacts/ , and the group/data/contacts are
still showing as being there.

However, KMail refuses to show them, when I try the select button, they don't
show, that is, the newly added address book is not shown. It is still showing
under Kontact though, It is in that folder as an XML file.

> So what is adding the domain name and why doesn't the list of people
> in the group expand).

This reminds me of how 'simple' Pegasus mail was. You add contacts to an
address book, select them from a dropdown list, and what appears in the email
composer was a name list @PML37SA23 for example. When you actually hit 'send',
pegasus used to then create all the 'seperate' emails locally and send them,
using the emails from that file name. I guess it was KISS, but it always
worked.

As you say in another email, as it is happening in so many distros, it has to
be KDE bug, specific to a version/s, and pops up every so often. Considering
that Anne said she does have some intermitent probs with it, I think I will
just paste emails individually as BCC's , painful but it works.

I can't just try a later version, as this is all updated to the latest
releases anyway, and I don't like using packages that aren't official release.

Peter