[Kde-pim] Re: KMail - do distribution lists work ??

Peter peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 9 11:13:04 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 09 March 2011 02:09:41 you wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 March 2011 09:31:11 Peter wrote:

> > > I use Fedora, 32-bit, so there are differences.  However, I saw that
> > > behaviour a long time ago - maybe a year ago?  Certainly Groups email
> > > does work now - I used it last week.  The UI is less than assuring, as
> > > it doesn't expand the group on your composer window, but a test email
> > > to a group that contains all my email addresses proves that the
> > > messages were delivered as expected.
> >
> > More testing, and when I add a new group using Kontact, I can see all the
> > newly added contacts with email addresses for 5 seconds, then they
> > disappear.
> >
> > Any debug logs or similar I can look at ?
> >
> > See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdepim/+bug/580242
> >
> > They say it is a KDE bug, not Ubunbtu.
>
> If it is, why would it work on my Fedora laptop?

I don't know, As Russ said, it won't work with openSUSE 11.3 and 11.4, and
KMail 1.13.6.

> As I suggested earlier, maybe it is a version problem - I have
>
> Kontact Version 4.4.10
> KMail Version 1.13.6
> KAddressBook Version 4.4.10 -  all 32-bit

It appears to be a Kontact problem. I have Kontact 4.4.8

I'm no expert though, but it seems KMail can only 'get' what's in the Kontact/
KAddressBook data, and as there is nothing in the dist. lists I have tested,
KMail cannot 'add' anything. Exactly the same thing happens for me, as for
Russ, the name 'test' was put in the "TO" and my local domain name added. Of
course it bounced.

So, my miniscual testing has shown that in Kontact, it does add contacts to a
dist. list, they show in the very right had window, but disappear after
approx. 5 seconds. So, Kontact is unable to store the data permanently. Along
comes KMail, it attempts to get the dist. list, but it is empty.

Yes, could be a version problem.

> Doesn't Kubuntu offer KMail 1.13.6?  If it does, try it.

I'm running Ubuntu, not the latest on the 64 bit machine though. I could check
and see what package is included in later version of Ubuntu though. But, I see
it as a Kontact problem, not a KMail one. KMail can only 'get' what is stored,
and there were previous issues with the cache from Kontact giving some
'delay'; some old posts in KDE forums.

Peter