[Kde-pim] Re: A FYI - a GPG problem that affects KMail

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Jul 5 14:18:42 BST 2011

Am Dienstag, 5. Juli 2011 08:24:59 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > How did you set the new key for this recipient in Kontact Mail?
> > Where both key equally trusted?
>
> IIRC I used the command line to import the key, then used KGPG to set it
> as trusted.  I did not realise at the time that I should change the
> trust setting of the older keys.

Your first idea is correct: It should not be necessary to change the trust
value of the older certificate. But the new certificate must be fully valid.

To show this, you would usually do
  gpg2 --edit-key FIRST-CERT-FINGERPRINT
  gpg2 --edit-key SECOND-CERT-FINGERPRINT

> > It would be a defect in Kontact Mail, if the IDs from the Contacs entry
> > would not explicitely given to GnuPG. And I'm quite optimistic that GnuPG
> > will then use this certificate id.
>
> In Contacts, for that person I did set the new key to be the default.
> Every times I tried to send a message the dialog box came up saying that
> it would use the older key.  I even tried changing the setting to say
> that I should no longer encrypt to that person, but still every message
> had the dialog offering the older key.  In the end I used Thunderbird
> for replying to his messages until I could find the solution.

Hmm, this sounds strange, but again it depends on the validity of the new
certificate. If the new cert was not fully valid.

> From the gpg-user thread I did get the impression that this was known
> behaviour, which is why I didn't consider writing a bug report..  It
> would be difficult to write such a report at this time, since there have
> been updates and I can't be sure which versions I was using at the time.
>  Sorry about that.

No problem. :)

> I'm writing this from Thunderbird, as my KMail appears to be attempting
> migration again - I killed the akonadi folder after it had struggled for
> 18 hours, lleaving me with no KMail access, so it's hard to guess when
> it will be functional again.

Bah. Version? >:)
Bernhard

--
Managing Director + Owner: www.Intevation.net <- A Free Software Company
Kolabsys.com: Board Member          FSFE.org: Founding GA Member