[Kde-pim] Re: A FYI - a GPG problem that affects KMail

Anne Wilson anne at lydgate.org
Tue Jul 5 07:24:59 BST 2011

On 07/04/2011 04:41 PM, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Anne,
>
> Am Freitag, 1. Juli 2011 20:34:25 schrieb Anne Wilson:
>> I recently encountered problems with GPG.  A correspondent had somehow got
>> corruption on his private key and had to create a new one.  No matter what
>> I did, I could not make KMail use the new key in preference to the old one,
>> so I went to the GPG users list to explore the problem.
>
> I've found your thread at:
> http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2011-May/thread.html
>
>> It seems that where a correspondent has an older trusted key and a new one
>> is installed, GPG will always use the first one it encounters, no matter
>> what the preferences are in KMail.  My problem was cured by marking his old
>> keys as untrusted.
>
> How did you set the new key for this recipient in Kontact Mail?
> Where both key equally trusted?

IIRC I used the command line to import the key, then used KGPG to set it
as trusted.  I did not realise at the time that I should change the
trust setting of the older keys.

> It would be a defect in Kontact Mail, if the IDs from the Contacs entry
> would not explicitely given to GnuPG. And I'm quite optimistic that GnuPG will
> then use this certificate id.

In Contacts, for that person I did set the new key to be the default.
Every times I tried to send a message the dialog box came up saying that
it would use the older key.  I even tried changing the setting to say
that I should no longer encrypt to that person, but still every message
had the dialog offering the older key.  In the end I used Thunderbird
for replying to his messages until I could find the solution.

>> This is undeniable a GPG bug, not a KDE one, but it is something that you
>> should be aware of.
>
> I'm not entirely sure, this is why I am asking.
> Maybe it is better to produce a report on bugs.kde.org with precise version
> numbers for Kontact Mail, gpgme and gnupg used.

- From the gpg-user thread I did get the impression that this was known
behaviour, which is why I didn't consider writing a bug report..  It
would be difficult to write such a report at this time, since there have
been updates and I can't be sure which versions I was using at the time.
 Sorry about that.

I'm writing this from Thunderbird, as my KMail appears to be attempting
migration again - I killed the akonadi folder after it had struggled for
18 hours, lleaving me with no KMail access, so it's hard to guess when
it will be functional again.

Anne