[Kde-pim] Re: A FYI - a GPG problem that affects KMail

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue Jul 5 19:04:55 BST 2011

On Tuesday 05 Jul 2011 14:18:42 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 5. Juli 2011 08:24:59 schrieb Anne Wilson:
> > > How did you set the new key for this recipient in Kontact Mail?
> > > Where both key equally trusted?
> >
> > IIRC I used the command line to import the key, then used KGPG to set it
> > as trusted.  I did not realise at the time that I should change the
> > trust setting of the older keys.
>
> Your first idea is correct: It should not be necessary to change the trust
> value of the older certificate. But the new certificate must be fully
> valid.
>
> To show this, you would usually do
>   gpg2 --edit-key FIRST-CERT-FINGERPRINT
>   gpg2 --edit-key SECOND-CERT-FINGERPRINT

Actually, I used KGPG to do that part, but in theory at least the effect
should be the same :-)

> > > It would be a defect in Kontact Mail, if the IDs from the Contacs entry
> > > would not explicitely given to GnuPG. And I'm quite optimistic that
> > > GnuPG will then use this certificate id.
> >
> > In Contacts, for that person I did set the new key to be the default.
> > Every times I tried to send a message the dialog box came up saying that
> > it would use the older key.  I even tried changing the setting to say
> > that I should no longer encrypt to that person, but still every message
> > had the dialog offering the older key.  In the end I used Thunderbird
> > for replying to his messages until I could find the solution.
>
> Hmm, this sounds strange, but again it depends on the validity of the new
> certificate. If the new cert was not fully valid.

Enigmail had no problem with it, and KMail has had no problem once I got the
old keys out of the equation.

> > I'm writing this from Thunderbird, as my KMail appears to be attempting
> > migration again - I killed the akonadi folder after it had struggled for
> > 18 hours, lleaving me with no KMail access, so it's hard to guess when
> > it will be functional again.
>
> Bah. Version? >:)

kdepim-4.4.11.1-4.fc14.i686 which is why those migration processes I saw in
System Monitor took me by surprise.  I felt unprepared - I'd have taken a
backup immediately before a deliberate attempt at migration.

This is another of those annoying cases where you never find out what caused
the problem.  A few minutes ago I got full Kontact back.  How?  A cold boot.
Previously I had only restarted.  I guess it must be something like cacheing,
but I'll never really know.

Thanks for your time.  If you have any further ideas regarding the GPG issue
and would like me to test anything, feel free to ask.

Anne