[Kde-pim] Re: Akonadi update conflicts

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sun Jul 3 09:33:23 BST 2011

On Tuesday 28 June 2011 17:03:02 David Jarvie wrote:
> I notice that in kdepim-users list, there have been some complaints about
> the Akonadi conflict resolution dialog appearing in kmail. Users don't
> necessarily understand what this is for, or how to select which option to
> choose.
>
> Previously in KAlarm, I found that I couldn't avoid frequent conflict
> resolution dialogs which occurred due to updates in quick succession not
> being handled in strict order, and in the end had to disable revision
> checking and implement a queueing mechanism, which seems to work.
>
> In light of the kmail also having these issues, I wonder whether we need a
> proper queuing mechanism for Akonadi updates so that applications can
> specify the order to apply updates in a predictable way, rather than
> handling them asynchronously and complaining if they are handled out of
> order.

Actually, that part works and is usually not the problem (unless you have
outdated Items around, as Sergio wrote). ItemModifyJobs on the same session
are executed in strict order of creation and propagate revision updates to
each other.

This however doesn't help one bit if in the meantime the resource or someone
else writes to the item as well. That's quite likely for resources using the
remote revision field or those changing remote ids on changes. A possible
solution for this could be to not increment the revision if only those fields
are changed, effectively disabling conflict detection on these fields. Which
is fine, since nothing but the resource is allowed to change them anyway, even
if that's not strictly enforced yet.

regards
Volker