[Kde-pim] Re: Akonadi update conflicts

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sun Jul 3 11:37:07 BST 2011

Am Sonntag, 3. Juli 2011, 10:33:23 schrieb Volker Krause:
> On Tuesday 28 June 2011 17:03:02 David Jarvie wrote:
> > In light of the kmail also having these issues, I wonder whether we need
> > a proper queuing mechanism for Akonadi updates so that applications can
> > specify the order to apply updates in a predictable way, rather than
> > handling them asynchronously and complaining if they are handled out of
> > order.
>
> Actually, that part works and is usually not the problem (unless you have
> outdated Items around, as Sergio wrote). ItemModifyJobs on the same session
> are executed in strict order of creation and propagate revision updates to
> each other.
>
> This however doesn't help one bit if in the meantime the resource or someone
> else writes to the item as well. That's quite likely for resources using
> the remote revision field or those changing remote ids on changes. A
> possible solution for this could be to not increment the revision if only
> those fields are changed, effectively disabling conflict detection on these
> fields. Which is fine, since nothing but the resource is allowed to change
> them anyway, even if that's not strictly enforced yet.

It happens while kmail2 handles its emails without anybody else but akonadi
accessing them – well maybe nepomuk/strigi. So does this mean that kmail2
changes the email twice itself at the same time and thus causes the conflicts?

These conflicts can even lead to data loss since they frequently show on the
left an empty email with e.g. $STATUS read or ignored and on the right the
actual email without that status. So there is something going utterly wrong
either within kmail2 or how these things are handled because empty emails do
not make any sense at all!

The empty version is always on the left. I have never seen it displayed on the
right.

Sven