[Kde-pim] Re: Akonadi update conflicts

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri Jul 1 12:13:59 BST 2011

On Fri, July 1, 2011 11:29 am, Sérgio Martins wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:03:02 David Jarvie wrote:
>> I notice that in kdepim-users list, there have been some complaints
>> about
>> the Akonadi conflict resolution dialog appearing in kmail. Users don't
>> necessarily understand what this is for, or how to select which option
>> choose.
>>
>> Previously in KAlarm, I found that I couldn't avoid frequent conflict
>> resolution dialogs which occurred due to updates in quick succession not
>> being handled in strict order, and in the end had to disable revision
>> checking and implement a queueing mechanism, which seems to work.
>
> It can also happen if the application has Akonadi::Item 's all over the
> place
> in memory, and forgets to update them whenever the item changes in the
> server side.
>
> Then, when it executes an ItemModifyJob on one of these old Items, you'll
> see the conflict dialog, because the item doesn't have the latest revision.
>
> In Korg we store mostly Item::Id 's, then when we need the item we ask
> the calendar, which has all the items and keeps them updated.

I can't remember the precise details now - it was a while ago - but I was
doing updates through EntityTreeModel, which should have avoided such
problems. Of course, there is always the possibility that it's been fixed
by now, but at that time it just couldn't handle multiple updates quickly.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.