[Kde-pim] Re: credit where credit is due

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Jan 1 10:16:01 GMT 2011

On Thursday 23 December 2010, Till Adam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'd like to ask everyone's permission to break the string freeze for
> a very important (I think) last minute change to the about dialog of
> Kontact. The attached patch adds Torgny Nyblom to the credits
> section. He almost single handedly, patiently and extremely
> professionally moved the migration of kdepim to git along, wrote the
> majority of the conversation rules (a boring, very difficult and
> frustrating job, given the size and complexity of kdepim) and
> finally coordinated and executed the actual transition, which went
> without a hitch. We now have kdepim and kdepim-runtime fully
> migrated, with full history, and operational with only minimal
> disruption. Impressive job and one we are all very thankful for, in
> the kdepim community. The least we can do is give him a bit of
> public credit in the about dialog of our flagship product, Kontact,
> I should think.

Hmm, why does this patch need to break the string freeze?

Torgny's work on kdepim is not restricted to the Git migration. He also
writes and reviews patches. Therefore, I suggest replacing
  ki18n("Git Migration")
with a simple
  KLocalizedString()
and changing addCredit to addAuthor.

I don't understand why the names of authors are put in ki18n. I guess
this is done to allow for translatable pseudo authors. In any case, this
appears to be a suboptimal solution since surely proper names shall
never be translated.

Regards,
Ingo