[Kde-pim] Re: credit where credit is due

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Sat Jan 1 10:57:14 GMT 2011

> [: Ingo Klöcker :]
> I don't understand why the names of authors are put in ki18n. I guess this
> is done to allow for translatable pseudo authors. [...]

That would be one reason, but also...

> [...] In any case, this appears to be a suboptimal solution since surely
> proper names shall never be translated.

For example, in translation into my language, your contributor entry in an
about dialog would look like this:

Инго Клекер (Ingo Klöcker)

The thing before the parenthesis is the transcription of your name into my
language, according to the rules of transcription from German given by the
language authority. This is how foreign names are normally treated in texts
in my language (the original in parenthesis is optional; supplied e.g. where
the need for contacting the person is significant).

In particular, consider my entry in an about dialog in my language -- it
would be more than strange to have my name in text in my language written in
its transcribed/transliterated form for another language (here English).

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)