[Kde-pim] Re: credit where credit is due

Jay Woods woodsjay at cox.net
Sat Jan 1 11:57:35 GMT 2011

On Saturday, January 01, 2011 04:16:01 am Ingo Klöcker
wrote:
> On Thursday 23 December 2010, Till Adam wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I'd like to ask everyone's permission to break the string
freeze
> > for a very important (I think) last minute change to the
about
> > dialog of Kontact. The attached patch adds Torgny Nyblom
to the
> > credits section. He almost single handedly, patiently and
> > extremely professionally moved the migration of kdepim to
git
> > along, wrote the majority of the conversation rules (a
boring,
> > very difficult and frustrating job, given the size and
complexity
> > of kdepim) and finally coordinated and executed the
actual
> > transition, which went without a hitch. We now have
kdepim and
> > kdepim-runtime fully migrated, with full history, and
operational
> > with only minimal disruption. Impressive job and one we
are all
> > very thankful for, in the kdepim community. The least we
can do is
> > give him a bit of public credit in the about dialog of our
> > flagship product, Kontact, I should think.
>
> Hmm, why does this patch need to break the string freeze?
>
> Torgny's work on kdepim is not restricted to the Git
migration. He
> also writes and reviews patches. Therefore, I suggest
replacing
>   ki18n("Git Migration")
> with a simple
>   KLocalizedString()
> and changing addCredit to addAuthor.
>
> I don't understand why the names of authors are put in
ki18n. I guess
> this is done to allow for translatable pseudo authors. In any
case,
> this appears to be a suboptimal solution since surely proper
names
> shall never be translated.

Those authors who use a language with a non-ASCII character
set might feel that their name is being transliterated and that
their customary character set is second class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I18n