[Kde-pim] Re: Release the new PIM with old KMail

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Tue Jan 25 17:52:24 GMT 2011

On Tue, January 25, 2011 5:24 pm, Sérgio Martins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While KMail is not ready, should we release a pim version with the new
> KJots, KAlarm, KOrganizer and KAddressbook?
>
> I think a phased release would be good because:
>
> * If we release the whole pim in one big drop, we won't have the man
> power to deal with the avalanche of bug reports or people asking for
> help.
>
> * We get to fix the first batch of small issues, so, when we release
> kmail, we can focus on kmail only.
>
> * These applications are mostly stable ( didn't try KAlarm though )

The Akonadi port of KAlarm will have to be held back until 4.7, since it
isn't working well enough yet, and will need new translatable strings.

But it's still safe to release the trunk version of KAlarm with kdepim
4.6, since by default it's compiled to use the old resources framework.
Just to be safe, it would be a good idea to delete the kalarm/akonadi
subdirectory from the future 4.6 branch, just to be sure that no packager
tries to supply the Akonadi version.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.