[Kde-pim] Re: Review Request: Simpler version of column resizing code for Akregator

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Tue Feb 8 11:18:21 GMT 2011

Le mardi 08 février 2011 11:16:12, Christophe Giboudeaux a écrit :
> On Tuesday 08 February 2011 10:32:06 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > Le mardi 08 février 2011 01:19:51, Christophe Giboudeaux a écrit :
> > > Sorry but no, that's also not acceptable.
> > > With the latest patch applied, there's no more column labels, the
> > > columns
> > > cannot be resized nor sorted anymore.
> >
> > If you look at KMail message list, by default there are also no column
> > labels, no resize handles and no way to change the sort order... and it
> > works fine. Of course one can change this but users I know keep it this
> > way.
>
> By default, KMail uses the Fancy theme. Switch back to the classical theme
> and the columns are back, sortable, resizable and the set size is
> remembered when you change the folder.

Yes, that's what I said. My experience though is that people do not switch
back to the classical theme. I have no number to back this up though.

> > > What seems unnecessary to you is very important to me and probably to
> > > most commenters of bug 152702 (not to mention people suffering from
> > > https://bugs.kde.org/247473).
> >
> > <sarcasm>I am probably a very weird person, I prefer being able to read
> > content out-of-the-box without fiddling with column sizes and I don't
> > care about sorting a list of articles by author or by title</sarcasm>
>
> And your approach assumes that every feed has a short name, a short author
> name, that both are more important than the article title and that the user
> cannot choose what he wants to see (nor how).

My patch let you choose what you want to see: I added a "Column" entry in the
popup menu so that you can show/hide columns like before.

> > > Also, I don't think removing the columns headers is the appropriate
> > > solution for users that accidentally click on it. How about adding an
> > > option to lock the sorting instead ? (this would fix #235992)
> >
> > I strongly disagree UI deficiencies should be fixed with more UI options.
>
> <sarcasm>And I don't think removing features and introducing regressions is
> the way to solve any issue (even if there weren't any before
> r1207041)</sarcasm>

Replacing the ability to manually resize columns with columns which
automatically resize themselves to the needed size (feed, author and date
columns) or automatically grow when more space is available (title column) is
not a regression IMO. It trades a UI-fiddling feature for a more pleasant out-
of-the-box user experience.

I am afraid you have no other choice but to revert all my changes. This will
fix your problem and Akregator will again look like this the first time you
start it:

http://agateau.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/akregator.png

As long as users enjoy having a date column 2.8 times bigger than the title
one everything should be fine.

Aurélien