[Kde-pim] Re: Review Request: Simpler version of column resizing code for Akregator

Christophe Giboudeaux cgiboudeaux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 13:07:05 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 08 February 2011 12:18:21 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:

> > And your approach assumes that every feed has a short name, a short
> > author name, that both are more important than the article title and
> > that the user cannot choose what he wants to see (nor how).
>
> My patch let you choose what you want to see: I added a "Column" entry in
> the popup menu so that you can show/hide columns like before.

I don't want to remove the feed column, I just don't need to fully see it.
The same applies to the author name. I'm sorry to believe the article title is
more important than the feeds it belongs to. (and you'll certainly find users
which prefer seeing the full feed name but a cropped author name etc..)

> > > I strongly disagree UI deficiencies should be fixed with more UI
> > > options.
> >
> > <sarcasm>And I don't think removing features and introducing regressions
> > is the way to solve any issue (even if there weren't any before
> > r1207041)</sarcasm>
>
> Replacing the ability to manually resize columns with columns which
> automatically resize themselves to the needed size (feed, author and date
> columns) or automatically grow when more space is available (title column)
> is not a regression IMO. It trades a UI-fiddling feature for a more
> pleasant out- of-the-box user experience.
>
> I am afraid you have no other choice but to revert all my changes. This will
> fix your problem and Akregator will again look like this the first time you
> start it:
>
> http://agateau.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/akregator.png

and then I can adjust the columns size and move the feed column before the
article title one. I cannot do that anymore with http://i.imgur.com/xhRgh.png
I must deal with a forever cropped title text and an author name which is hard
to distinguish from the feed name.

The situation is then getting worse with the default window size and my own
feeds: http://i.imgur.com/dfo0b.png and for feeds with a very long name, I now
have an horizontal scrollbar. http://i.imgur.com/LfT5i.png

Christophe