[Kde-pim] Re: Review Request: Simpler version of column resizing code for Akregator

Christophe Giboudeaux cgiboudeaux at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 10:16:12 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 08 February 2011 10:32:06 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Le mardi 08 février 2011 01:19:51, Christophe Giboudeaux a écrit :
> > Sorry but no, that's also not acceptable.
> > With the latest patch applied, there's no more column labels, the
> > columns
> > cannot be resized nor sorted anymore.
>
> If you look at KMail message list, by default there are also no column
> labels, no resize handles and no way to change the sort order... and it
> works fine. Of course one can change this but users I know keep it this
> way.

By default, KMail uses the Fancy theme. Switch back to the classical theme and
the columns are back, sortable, resizable and the set size is remembered when
you change the folder.

> > What seems unnecessary to you is very important to me and probably to
> > most commenters of bug 152702 (not to mention people suffering from
> > https://bugs.kde.org/247473).
>
> <sarcasm>I am probably a very weird person, I prefer being able to read
> content out-of-the-box without fiddling with column sizes and I don't care
> about sorting a list of articles by author or by title</sarcasm>

And your approach assumes that every feed has a short name, a short author
name, that both are more important than the article title and that the user
cannot choose what he wants to see (nor how).

> > Also, I don't think removing the columns headers is the appropriate
> > solution for users that accidentally click on it. How about adding an
> > option to lock the sorting instead ? (this would fix #235992)
>
> I strongly disagree UI deficiencies should be fixed with more UI options.

<sarcasm>And I don't think removing features and introducing regressions is
the way to solve any issue (even if there weren't any before
r1207041)</sarcasm>

Christophe.