[Kde-pim] Time management improvement in KOrganizer as GsOC 2011 development

Bartłomiej Żogała nusch88 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 16:10:03 GMT 2011

Hi

Below is a listof casesthatbothermein personin KOrganizer and overwhichI
would liketo work as Google Summer of Code this year.
This is only a list of free thoughts. I don't know if any functionality
was already or is currently developed by somebody or if any constraints
would block particular form of realisation.

I have experience with KDE only as user but developed 2 years with Qt
(PyQt bindings) . Also have experience with non GUI but OOP C++ programming.

I'm open for suggestions and searching for GsOC Mentor.

1. Priority management

Ten  level task priorities are hard to maintain by user, better solution
would be automatically
choosing numerical priority by set of user decisions.
E.g. relative priorities,  choosing which to-do is more important than
other. Or implementation
by means of Eisenhower Method(selecting task  by critical importance and
critical deadline.) or POSEC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_management#The_Eisenhower_Method

Also moving child task to parent  by drag and drop in current implementation
(especially while running in low resolution)
takes much time, need to think this problem over

sorted list by priority with moving up/down, top/bottom
2,
improving subcategories in to-do list - When we have to-do with
subto-dos in to-dos Work University
in calendar view we nee to display only those child to-dos.

3, Allow quick adding new to-do's and events by some dropbox, while
planning all once a day/week

4. Increase usability e.g changing event hour  by one click on down
arrow of SpinBox to move task forward
15min would be faster than choosing appropriate hour from standard list.
Also add in place edit possibility
wherever possible.
Optionally connect some to-dos with KMail threads or persons

5. Connect To-dos and events functionality or easy convert between them
by drag&drop
we might want to specify the task description first and once a week
assign hours in week to them.
In current implementation we can only drag to-do as a whole day activity.

6. Make reminders less intrusive, while we're doing more important
things on computer. Sometimes we would just
get rid of the window of the screen and decide later if it need to be
suspended or dismiss. I think better than dialog would be KDE
notification - reminders could show once and  stay there minimized.

Regards,
Bart