[Kde-pim] Re: GSOC proposal - Alternative calendar systems

Joost Roeleveld joost at antarean.org
Fri Feb 11 13:56:21 GMT 2011

On Friday 11 February 2011 12:25:45 John Layt wrote:
> On Friday 11 February 2011 09:20:26 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > I like the idea, it is quite important to have different calendar
> > systems
> > working so that KDEPIM works in those cultures.
>
> Yep, there's only about 4 billion possible users ;-)
>
> > As for the partial birthdays, I fully support that, as I'm working(*) on
> > a Facebook resource, and from the API you quite often get partial
> > birthdays only, depending on the privacy settings. From discussions
> > with Tobias it looks like quite some work is needed to this properly,
> > and not as a quick hack.
>
> Doing it properly would probably require changes to the VCARD standard, but
> I was hoping we could do a quickish hack using something like
> X-KDE-BIRTHDAY=XXXX-05-01.  Well, I'll keep it as an optional item if we
> have time.
>
> > I can't help much with KOrganizer/KAddressBook myself.
>
> No worries, Sergio has already offered help on KOrganizer so we're good to
> go.

Just a thought, as we're in the "thinking" phase for this.
Would the following be an idea:
BDAY-field in the Gregorian Calendar and then a custom field specifying the
Calendar-type as originally defined? That can then be calculated through?

That way, programs/scripts that only think in Gregorian Calendar-terms will
still work "as expected" and KAddresbook and KOrganizer show it as it should
be.

The above does have the pre-requisite that it's not too difficult to calculate
between the different Calendar systems.

--
Joost