[Kde-pim] Data loss: kmail2 must not use existing [Folder-xy] settings on random new folders

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Dec 12 22:03:48 GMT 2011

On Monday, 2011-12-12, Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Am Montag, 12. Dezember 2011, 13:52:09 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > And it should not have happend. The database should not have given out
> > the same id twice.
> > Could it be that MySQL now requires a new setting to not reuse unique
> > ids?
>
> Is a two digit number supposed to be unique?

Yes, for up to 99 folders.

> What if the database gets
> corrupted/removed on purpose and the new one starts again at 1?

Then you can have 99 new unique folders.

> So does it currently work like this:
>
> kmail2rc has some settings for [Folder-34] (let's say it's the last folder
> of the last ressource)  it gets that "Folder-34" from akonadi. In theory,
> removing a resource from akonadi and adding another would then start at
> "Folder-35" and hence the settings for "Folder-34" would do no harm.

Right.

> If that's correct it would explain the current behaviour, because it does
> not take into account that the database can be reset. And even more
> important, that resetting must not cause any data-loss.
>
> So I'm still guessing that "Folder-xy" is just no good as unique-id if you
> cannot guarantee that resetting akonadi's db does also reset kmail2 or any
> other client's settings.

Right. Moving to Akonadi based data access is an iterative process,
applications like KMail do not use all available factilities yet and fall back
to previously used ones when they don't.

So at the moment certain folder settings like expiration rules have not been
imported into collection attributes yet, causing problems in corner cases
where two distinct data sources get out of sync.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring