[Kde-pim] Data loss: kmail2 must not use existing [Folder-xy] settings on random new folders

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Sat Dec 17 13:28:40 GMT 2011

Am Samstag, 17. Dezember 2011, 11:52:47 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> So as Akonadi matures I expect and hope that database removal will not be
> advertised as a fix / work-around on the wiki page anymore except for the
> case where it has been corrupted by hardware issues or user error.

Just to clarify. I do not think that database removal is advertised as a fix
on the wiki. However it is advertised that removing it will not lose any
emails. Further it was stated many times that issues might be resolved by
starting from scratch. The combination of those two and the ease of deleting a
file cause users to try this first,  hoping for a quick fix if they encounter
slowness, email retrieval being stuck etc. Simply because (I know I repeat
myself) it is advertised that removing akonadi database will not lose any
email but just status info.

Another reason to remove a file that does not contain any valuable data, i.e.
no emails, for the user, would be its size. A growing (database) size whose
size is in no relation to its content/use from a user's perspective, makes
people want to reset it. akonadi has/had this issue, nepomuk never shrinks
either etc. Again, this has nothing to do with whether it makes sense or
whatever, it's only a description of  users' behaviour if they are told that
they will not lose any emails (akonadi), files (nepomuk, amarok).

Since more settings are moving into the database this might actually change
for email folders.

Sven