[Kde-pim] Data loss: kmail2 must not use existing [Folder-xy] settings on random new folders

Sven Burmeister sven.burmeister at gmx.net
Mon Dec 12 22:57:48 GMT 2011

Am Montag, 12. Dezember 2011, 23:03:48 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > What if the database gets
> > corrupted/removed on purpose and the new one starts again at 1?
>
> Then you can have 99 new unique folders.

How if the chance of 1 being re-used is 100%? IMHO there is no uniqueness,
only "low chance of having the same string twice". 1-99 is not unique outside
akonadi. So either it must be replaced within akonadi or never be used
outside.

> causing problems in corner cases
> where two distinct data sources get out of sync.

I do not agree that removing and adding resources is a corner case. Removing
akonadis database either. In fact, it was advertised more than once that
akonadi's db is just a cache and removing it does not lose any data. Well, now
it does.

I hope this does not mean that fixing this is regarded as low priority. It
causes data loss and thus IMHO should have had highest priority.

If akonadi uses 1-xyz internally as unique ids that's fine but using it to
communicate with other apps does not provide any uniqueness. so for kmail it
is not a unique-ID.

Sven