[Kde-pim] Akonadi activesync support?

Del delonly at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 23:10:20 BST 2011

On Thursday, August 11, 2011 09:40:43 PM Dinesh wrote:
> Roughly this (
> http://saschpe.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/syncmlclient-agent-4.png?w=497&
> h=585 ) is how we started and then had to move on, as it was getting too
> cluttered , and hence the vertical tabs...

I see, the vertical tabs are probably the better choice.

> (The Remote Database, is the
> important field, which the user has to set if he/she wants to sync with a
> custom SyncML server (my use case for this is another with
> another Syncevolution on another device..))

As far as I can see it actually syncs Akonadi (and hence Kontact) with the
remote SyncML server http://my.funambol.com/sync, which just as easily could
be any SyncML capable groupware server. Right?

I think this use case is very important. Kontact and Akonadi is heading for
phones, tablets as well as already being on laptops. SyncML and Activesync
provides a way to sync them all with the groupware server. IMAP and MAPI are
probably better protocols, but at least SyncML and Activesync are typically
available without need for VPN.

I am very interested in seeing this work. Kolab currently implements z-push,
an open impelemtation of activesync. It can be used for testing (so no need
for Exchange licenses). I have made a KVM image of Kolab that can be set-up in
minutes to get a server side test environment.
http://wiki.kolab.org/Kolab2_Installation_KVM

Not sure how long GSOC is, but activesync would be a great addition to the
project.

Cheers,
Del