[Kde-pim] Akonadi activesync support?

Dinesh saidinesh5 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:42:53 BST 2011

Hi Del

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 4:23 AM, Del <delonly at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 09, 2011 08:06:48 PM Dinesh wrote:
>> Hi Del
>>> snip
>> As recently updated on the Syncevolution's WebSite ,
>> "SyncEvolution synchronizes personal information management (PIM) data
>> via various protocols (SyncML, CalDAV/CardDAV, ActiveSync). It syncs
>> contacts, appointments, tasks and memos. It syncs to web services or
>> to SyncML-capable phones via Bluetooth. " , and one of the storage
>> backends that it supports is Akonadi (along with File Backend, and
>> various others)...
>>
>> I will probably test out the Active Sync Backend once I get my broken
>> hard disk replaced this week...
>> Also With some help from Patrick, I would say that Rohan is at about
>> 80% of his targets for the GSoC...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dinesh
>
> Somehow the gsoc project slipped by me. It looked like it was focussed on
> syncing from kde-pim to phones, while what I am really after is syncing from
> an Exchange server to kde-pim. From what I gather from the available online
> information, both will be available through syncevolution. Please correct me
> if I am mistaken. I am a bit in the dark as to how or if Rohan will integrate
> syncing from exchange to akonadi+kde-pim in gui. I guess kde-pim wizards or
> the Account wizard in Kontact are possible places to include it.

Currently The Syncevolution GUI for KDE basically comprises of a KCM(
which even appears in the SystemSettings ) To Configure various
accounts and devices, A Bluedevil Plugin (to pair up with the new
syncml capable phones), A System Tray Application (To Quickly Start
and Stop Syncs if needed and to notify about the newly added devices).

Here is how the KCM currently looks (and works),
http://i.imgur.com/yjWh0.png

When the Project started, we hadn't considered how the ActiveSync
Plugin so the GSoC part is for SyncML peers only.
But I hope to keep the GUI same even for the ActiveSync part... (this
could be a bit tricky to implement though) Will post more updates once
I get my hands on the activesync backend :)

Cheers,
Dinesh