[Kde-pim] Re: Commandline tool for Akonadi query & export

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Apr 21 18:04:35 BST 2011

Hi Michael,

On Thursday, 2011-04-21, Michael Schuerig wrote:

> My immediate need is that I want to export my contacts in a format
> suitable for importing as a phonebook into a Fritz!Box router/DECT base
> station. The shortcut to achieve this would be to mangle the files
> locally cached in ~/.local/share/contacts/. If at all practical, I'd
> prefer to do it through Akonadi.
>
> I have found the tutorials on techbase.kde.org, but they still leave me
> with several questions. In particular, I don't yet see how to get hold
> of those items of a single, given resource that match certain criteria.
> I'd like to be able to export only contacts belonging to a certain
> category, say. Also, I'd like to do the initial prototyping in Ruby, not
> C++. I don't need ready-made solutions, but it would be most helpful to
> know which existing code I ought to look at for guidance.

Unfortunately there are currently no such tools.
Last summer I started working on something like this using Vala (mostly to get
a GObject based implementation of an Akonadi client library) but I haven't had
any time to work on this since and the state of any code part is prototype at
best.

One stop gap measure could be using kabcclient and the Akonadi plugin for
KABC.

I am not sure which state the Ruby bindings for KDEPIM are in, you could check
if it has Akonadi::ItemSearchJob

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring