[Kde-pim] Re: Kmail' ideas for the GSoC 2011 (sysadmin work?)

Christophe Giboudeaux cgiboudeaux at gmx.com
Sun Apr 24 20:41:05 BST 2011

On Sunday 24 April 2011 19:01:52 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 22 April 2011, Christophe Giboudeaux wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Friday 11 February 2011 16:12:44 Christophe wrote:

> > > What I suggest:
> > > - Define a date where we stop accepting the KMail1 reports then set
> > > the product ReadOnly on BKO. (yes, that will make some users angry
> > > but at some point we have to clearly state that kdepim 4.4.10 was
> > > the last KMail1 version)
> > >
> > > - reassign the KMail1 normal bugs to the appropriate product if
> > > relevant (Akonadi, KMail2, kdepim...)
> > >
> > > I also suggest testing the KMail1 crashers and open new reports if
> > > reproducible then close the KMail1 crash reports. (sysadmin help is
> > > welcome to avoid killing ktown).
> >
> > As there have been no objection, I'll start working on this topic,
> > - a blog entry on planet KDE(-PIM)
> > - Close the KMail product (no new submissions accepted)
>
> I object. I'm not comfortable with closing KMail1 for new reports. There
> needs to be a way for people to report regressions that occur in
> combination with newer versions of kdelibs/kdepimlibs.

Almost all the new KMail1 reports are duplicate of already existing bugs. The
rest is usually a bug in another product which is also already reported.

> Moreover, above you wrote "Define a date [...]". To this I replied on
>
> Friday 11 February 2011:
> > Yes. But I guess we should wait until we know that KMail1 really is
> > unmaintained and until the first few patch releases of KMail2 are
> > out.

Yes and that fits perfectly. KMail 1 received only a couple fixes since last
July and I slightly doubt a new maintainer will suddenly appear.

> I haven't seen any other suggestions concerning a date for closing the
> KMail1 product. Who decided that the date is now?

I did since I'm almost the only one to triage kmail / kontact bugs lately.

Note that I'm fine with reopening the KMail product but then, will you help
with the bugs triaging ?

Christophe.