[Kde-pim] Re: Kmail' ideas for the GSoC 2011 (sysadmin work?)

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Apr 24 18:01:52 BST 2011

On Friday 22 April 2011, Christophe Giboudeaux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 11 February 2011 16:12:44 Christophe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Friday 11 February 2011 10:38:44 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > > There is actually a "KMail2" product. In retrospect, it would
> > > have been better to add that as a version to the "KMail"product
> > > instead, since having two products is apparently to confusing
> > > for reports. Maybe sysadmin can move all reports from KMail2 to
> > > KMail with version "2.0.89"?
> >
> > As a triager, I don't really like this idea for several reasons:
> > - drkonqi uses the appname defined in the kaboutdata when the user
> > reports a crash. If the KMail2 bugs are mixed with the kmail1
> > ones, the current beta users won't be able to report crashes until
> > the next version. - That would mix the kmail2 with the pre-akonadi
> > ones (we still have a few hundreds KDE3 bugs around) which makes
> > them harder to triage. - Even if a crash happen with the same
> > testcase, a KMail2 backtrace has a very high risk to have nothing
> > common with a KMail1 one.
> >
> > What I suggest:
> > - Define a date where we stop accepting the KMail1 reports then set
> > the product ReadOnly on BKO. (yes, that will make some users angry
> > but at some point we have to clearly state that kdepim 4.4.10 was
> > the last KMail1 version)
> >
> > - reassign the KMail1 normal bugs to the appropriate product if
> > relevant (Akonadi, KMail2, kdepim...)
> >
> > I also suggest testing the KMail1 crashers and open new reports if
> > reproducible then close the KMail1 crash reports. (sysadmin help is
> > welcome to avoid killing ktown).
>
> As there have been no objection, I'll start working on this topic,
> - a blog entry on planet KDE(-PIM)
> - Close the KMail product (no new submissions accepted)

I object. I'm not comfortable with closing KMail1 for new reports. There
needs to be a way for people to report regressions that occur in
combination with newer versions of kdelibs/kdepimlibs.

Moreover, above you wrote "Define a date [...]". To this I replied on
Friday 11 February 2011:
> Yes. But I guess we should wait until we know that KMail1 really is
> unmaintained and until the first few patch releases of KMail2 are
> out.

I haven't seen any other suggestions concerning a date for closing the
KMail1 product. Who decided that the date is now?

Regards,
Ingo