[Kde-pim] Re: KMail extensions

Bertjan Broeksema broeksema at kde.org
Thu Sep 30 09:14:47 BST 2010

Hi Paul,

ps wrote:

> Dear K-Mail Developers
>
> I like K-Mail and would like to add some extensions that I think are
> useful to me and possibly the general public.
>
> Please contact me if you are interested  to help implement such
> extensions.  It would advantageous if you could mention something about
> your qualifications.

We're always welcoming new contributors to the KDEPIM project. Anyone is in
principal encouraged to contribute (given that he wants too). There are no
qualifications required. Depending on your experience with C++ and Qt/KDE
programming you'll get comments from the relevant developers to patches that
you post either here or (preferably) on http://reviewboard.kde.org.

If we're interested in your specific extensions? That of course fully
depends on what these extensions are. So you'd better explain them first
before asking confirmation.

> The fee for such work would have to be negotiated.

Who should pay? Note, KDEPIM is like the rest of KDE an open source project.
Contributions are *in principal* made by volunteers. Some of us happen to
work for companies that work (partly) on KDE(PIM) and therefore get paid to
do the work.

So it doesn't work like this, that you come here to this list and ask for
money to implement some unspecified features. We'd of course be happy to get
you started (development wise) and maybe people are interested in such a way
in the proposed features that they actually want to pay for it. But you
shouldn't count on that.

I hope I gave you some useful pointers.

Cheers,

Bertjan