[Kde-pim] New Email notifications

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Sep 30 15:59:26 BST 2010

On Wednesday 29 September 2010 21:49:49 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > I'm not sure if KMail should send notifications about new emails
> > > _at_all_ (I think it shouldn't). In Akonadi-times, we cannot just
> > > assume that there's only one email client running at a time, this
> > > has ramifications for UI and work- flow. There has to be one
> > > central instance to do notifications. (In case of power management
> > > and network management, we use a kded module as notification
> > > policy agent.)

Okay, I do understand Sebastian in the way that he technically
wants the notification be send from the central backend and not from the
frontend.

But we all seem to agree that notification should be send
for all folders, don't we?

I believe that for each folder that gets presented to the user
a notification should be possible. For remote and local folders.

> I fully agree, but until this central instance exists KMail should still
> do it. Just as KMail will still do the filtering until there's an
> Akonadi agent doing it.

To me KMail is now the "Mail" component of "Kontact".
Technically there is the akonadi (backend), but it has part of the old KMail
functionality. The new frontend is not usable without the backend.
I admit I have not yet tried alternative mail frontends. ;)

Bernhard

Deputy Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: Kolab-Konsortium.com.
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, Osnabrück, DE; AG Osnabrück, HRB 18998