[Kde-pim] Re: Kontact Mail Speed (Re: Showstoppers in KMail)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Sep 29 10:43:03 BST 2010

On Monday, September 27, 2010 21:48:04 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>   On Monday 27 September 2010, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 26. September 2010 11:34:01 schrieb Tobias König:
> > > 3) New messages notifications: The notification about new messages
> > > is broken when using local filtering. It happens that it reports
> > > e.g. '3 new messages in inbox' even 40 or more messages have been
> > > downloaded. But the notification is sent after the filtering is
> > > done, so it misses some new messages.
> > >

> > >     Steps to take:
> > >             - Let the resources send the notification instead of kmail?
> >
> > I am unsure what I would have wanted here. The 40 messages are not in
> > INBOX anymore after filtering, so the message is correct: Only three
> > (of the) new message are in inbox.
> > You might have 30 new emails in a different folder and 7 which are
> > dumped because of the spam. So with an extra message: 30 new mails
> > in folder X, this would be more what I would have wanted.
>
> KMail 1 (optionally) gives you a detailed list of new messages for all
> folders for which this is enabled (for the trash or spam folders it
> would, of course, be disabled). So, a detailed new mail notification is
> what is expected by people who are currently using KMail 1. (If you
> disable the detailed new mail notification in KMail 1 you still get the
> total number of all new messages.)

Note that this is not an issue with Lion Mail, as it

a) doesn't do static notification ("you have received 30 new emails") *1
b) it shows the current state of folders (so when filtering, new emails might
   first show up but will go away as soon as the filtering is done

I'm not sure if KMail should send notifications about new emails _at_all_ (I
think it shouldn't). In Akonadi-times, we cannot just assume that there's only
one email client running at a time, this has ramifications for UI and work-
flow. There has to be one central instance to do notifications. (In case of
power management and network management, we use a kded module as notification
policy agent.)

*1 This would be a use-case where you'd want to update notification that have
been sent, something to take up with Plasma / KNotify people.
--
sebas