[Kde-pim] Addressbook questions

Tobias König tokoe at kde.org
Sun Sep 26 10:20:24 BST 2010

On Sunday 26 September 2010 10:56:11 Andreas Gungl wrote:
Hej Andreas :)

> First of all, I'm running KAddressbook 4.4.5 (on OpenSUSE 11.3 with normal
> set of repositories).
> I found a default address book which originally corresponded to my stc.vcf
> file. I'm not sure if that relation is still maintained. The access date of
> the file changes as I use KMail or KAddressbook, but some information seems
> to be not in that file. If I check the address book properties in
> KAddressbook, no file name is set for this Akonadi Resource.
I recommend to remove the address book which corresponds to std.vcf and add a
'personal contacts' address book instead. To migrate the contacts from std.vcf
to 'personal contacts' execute the 'kaddressbookmigrator' executable.

> When I choose Add Addressbook, I'm abit confused about the choises. VCard
> File is probably the simplest way, so I tried that. It seems to work fine.
> The next file I tried a differnet way. I selected KDE Address Book
> (traditional) which has some nice options.
Please avoid the 'traditional' stuff, that are the compatibility bridges for
the KResource framework which has all the bugs/problems we actually want to
solve with Akonadi.

> Browsing the raw payload of that contact in akonadiconsole, I can see:
> 	ADR;TYPE=... (here goes the new data as entered by me)
> 	EMAIL;TYPE=PREF:... (here goes the new data as entered by me)
> 	LABEL;TYPE=... (this is the old data, still displayed but not editable)
Should be editable via the 'Edit Label' button inside the address editor in
the 'Location' tab, no?

> 	X-KADDRESSBOOK-emails:... (this is the old data, still displayed but not
> editable)
Hmm, a custom field? These are not editable in 4.4.X but with 4.5.

> Further, how can I configure to update
> the file (or better: keep it in sync). I sometimes need to transfer the
> data to other systems, so it's handy to have the files araound.
It should always be synced back to file immediately. There had been bugs in
the vCard file resource and the compatibility bridges, but the former had been
fixed in 4.5.

> From the users POV, I simply expect the applications to work. That was the
> case until KDE 3.5, the new implementation is kind of beta software.
Well, KAddressBook in 4.4 is a complete rewrite and most of the hassle is not
caused by KAddressBook itself but by a suboptimal Akonadi standard
configuration :(

> I'm willing to experiment a bit, let's see how things go on.
Just join the #akonadi IRC channel on freenode, then figuring out the problem
should be much faster than via mail.

Ciao,
Tobias