[Kde-pim] Addressbook questions

Andreas Gungl a.gungl at gmx.de
Sun Sep 26 09:56:11 BST 2010

Following the newer OpenSUSE releases I switched fromKDE 3.5.x to KDE 4, in
that process my ressources were partially migrated to Akonadi.

On a first glance things went smooth, but when I found the time needed to have
a deeper look, I'm a bit confused about the address book part. Let me address
the issues here, perhaps you can give me some advice how to solve them.

First of all, I'm running KAddressbook 4.4.5 (on OpenSUSE 11.3 with normal set
of repositories).
I found a default address book which originally corresponded to my stc.vcf
file. I'm not sure if that relation is still maintained. The access date of the
file changes as I use KMail or KAddressbook, but some information seems to be
not in that file. If I check the address book properties in KAddressbook, no
file name is set for this Akonadi Resource.

In the directory where std.vcf is (~/.kde4/share/apps/kabc) are some more files
which represented different address books. Those were not visible in
KAddressbook by default. So I decided to add them manually, as I need those
addresses from time to time.
When I choose Add Addressbook, I'm abit confused about the choises. VCard File
is probably the simplest way, so I tried that. It seems to work fine. The next
file I tried a differnet way. I selected KDE Address Book (traditional) which
has some nice options. However, after checking the properties of the
successfully added address book, it vanished both on clicking OK or Cancel in
that property dialog. Well, I tried again without opening the property dialog.
I decided to close the application and to restart it, I wanted to see if the
resource were still there. Oh my, KAddressbook didn't start anymore. It
obviously was confused by that resource.

I started to feel a bit like a beta tester, and I stepped back from the idea
to try the Personal Contacts import option with another file. Really, I don't
want to mess up the address data... Okay, I decided to give akonadiconsole a
try (thanks to the devels for that nice tool). I managed to open the property
dialog for the broken resource there, and after having changed nothing but
clicking okay, the status changed to ready. Hey, as supposed, KAddressbook was
able to start again. Puh...

Now back to my default address book. I changed both address and e-mail of a
contact. In KAddressbook I can see now in the overview (main vwindow, right
column):
	Email (containing the new e-mail address)
	emails (outdated e-mail address)
	prefered address [Bevorzugte Addresse in German] (old address)
Opening the details of the contact I can see only the correct data as changed
before.
Browsing the raw payload of that contact in akonadiconsole, I can see:
	ADR;TYPE=... (here goes the new data as entered by me)
	EMAIL;TYPE=PREF:... (here goes the new data as entered by me)
	LABEL;TYPE=... (this is the old data, still displayed but not editable)
	X-KADDRESSBOOK-emails:... (this is the old data, still displayed but not
editable)
So I wonder how to handle that displayed data which is wrong and different from
what's entered in the details. Further, how can I configure to update the file
(or better: keep it in sync). I sometimes need to transfer the data to other
systems, so it's handy to have the files araound.

From the users POV, I simply expect the applications to work. That was the
case until KDE 3.5, the new implementation is kind of beta software. There is
almost no guidance for the user (see the various kinds of resources on adding
an addressbook which partially even seem to be broken). KAddressbook starting
no more without any information (even on console) is a pain.
Fortunately there is akonadiconsole which is a great tool (didn't even explore
all features) to help in that cases. But as you write, it's nothing a normal
user should be forced to use.
Based on my experience in the last hours I'm really afraid of the next step
with Akonadi based KMail. Breaking an e-mail application like I could do with
KAddressbook is a reason to let people switch to TBird.

Okay, you know theses things anyway. If you could explain the various resource
types for new adress books, I were already happy. If you can help me with the
update problems of the contact data, that would be even better. I'm willing to
experiment a bit, let's see how things go on.

Best regards,
Andreas