[Kde-pim] Mail migration issues caused by side effects

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Nov 28 20:10:40 GMT 2010

Hi all,

while testing my fix for a filter migration problem (filters which only apply
to a selection of inbound accounts), I ran into two issues caused by side
effects of changes that by themselves look reasonable.

1) Laurent added some new config cleanup code that removes all account groups
from kmail2rc after migration is done.

Side effect: absence of account groups is a trigger to copy kmailrc to
kmail2rc before migration, meaning any next run of kmail-migrator will
overwrite all changes done by previous runs.

Issue: all already successfully migrated accounts are skipped, all filters are
now unmigrated.

General additional problem: the cleanup code does not seem to check at all
whether the account has been successfully migrated.

2) Tobias removed a connect from the migrator's info dialog to the dialog's
deleteLater() slot.

Side effect: the migrator does not exit anymore. Probably because the dialog
is not destroyed elsewhere, so the KGlobal::deref() in its destructor is not
called either.

Maybe we can discuss potential fixes through reviewboard in order to make it
less likely to introduce just a different side effect.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring