[Kde-pim] KMail filter with non-existing account apply set

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Nov 28 20:25:16 GMT 2010

Hi all,

one of the user testing either trunk or the most recent beta found some of his
filters had not been migrated.

At first I misinterpreted it as their target folders not pointing to
collections but still pointing to some folder path.
However, it what was actually happening is that the filters got removed, i.e.
they were not longer in the filter dialog's list.

After I got the hint that all lost filters had in common that they only
applied to a selection of accounts, I checked the two involved processes.

The migrator did not do anything special with this type of filter so the
removal had to be done in KMail.
And indeed it MailFilter::purify() checks the account list from the filter
config against the AgentManager's agent list and considers all filters "empty"
if none of the accounts match.

The fix on the migrator side has been committed here [1], i.e. after
successful migration of an account its old ID in filters is replaced with its
new one.

This fixes the problem for all successfully migrated accounts.

If we want to support the case when not all accounts can be migrated at first
attempt, e.g. IMAP server not accessible at time of migration, then KMail
should probably not discard these filters but just ignore them.

The filter dialog could probably warn about that and/or offer to modify the
account selection.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://websvn.kde.org/?view=revision&revision=1201810