[Kde-pim] Re: close the Bug 77862: kio_imap processes

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 7 22:23:21 GMT 2010

On Sunday 07 November 2010, Guy Maurel wrote:
> Hello Carsten!
>
> On Friday 05 November 2010 11:09:29 Carsten Burghardt wrote:
> > Hi Guy,
> >
> > > Let me now ask a provocative question?
> > > What is the really necessary, **not to close** the connection
> > > after the transfer is done?
> > > Why does kmail send a imap-NOOP each minute, even if the
> > > "check-interval" is set to zero?
> >
> > Because otherwise you would have to login again to the server for
> > whatever action you want to initiate with the server. That is not
> > only new-mail checks but everything IMAP related.
>
> Right!
> But with the actual version of kmail2, the user must use the KWallet,
> where the passwort is stored. It will does the work for me.
> So for me, it is not enough to get the connection open all the time.
> I think, we need a stronger reason. If not, we could close the
> connection, open a new one only at the time a new action is coming,
> and escape the problem with the IP-Change.

Re-opening the connection each time I want to read the next message is
completely insane. In particular, with an encrypted connection this will
require several round trips. IMNSHO, it's insane to optimize for a
potential problem with a changing IP address, a problem that I will
never have at work or at home. How do other protocols, e.g. FTP, cope
with this? I cannot believe that kio_ftp closes and re-opens the
connection all of the time.

Regards,
Ingo