[Kde-pim] Re: close the Bug 77862: kio_imap processes

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Sun Nov 7 22:37:49 GMT 2010

On Sunday 07 November 2010 23:23:21 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Re-opening the connection each time I want to read the next message is
> completely insane. In particular, with an encrypted connection this will
> require several round trips. IMNSHO, it's insane to optimize for a
> potential problem with a changing IP address, a problem that I will
> never have at work or at home. How do other protocols, e.g. FTP, cope
> with this? I cannot believe that kio_ftp closes and re-opens the
> connection all of the time.

Other protocols deal with it by not being long-lived in the common case
(typical FTP usage would be: log in, down/upload file(s), disconnect), or by
being inherently stateless (eg: HTTP).

The issue with IMAP is that users want to be notified of new emails a "short"
amount of time after they receive them.

Alex