[Kde-pim] Re: branding "Kontact"

Alexander Gretencord arutha at gmx.de
Wed Nov 10 16:13:58 GMT 2010

Hello,

Just to chime in from a (long time kontact) user's perspective, as developers
can sometimes be a little dev-blind. I am too, in my day job :)

On Wednesday 10 November 2010, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> The HD only works in one direction: You can only use Kontact HD if you do
> have the screen size (and resolution). It shows more information on more
> space. Sounding like an iPad application seems a good step forward to me

For me as a user, HD is immediately associated with video and TV. In that
sense, if I knew nothing about this whole thing, I'd assume it was meant to be
used on a big screen TV. You know, like those internet on the TV things people
were talking about some years ago (did that take off?).

I don't get the iPad reference (do they name everything HD?), but if it does
indeed sound more like an iPad application, I'd actually expect a touch
interface ...

> > From my point of view just "Kontact" works well for the classical
> > version.
> no qualifier for the desktop version, is not enough to clearly make the
> distinction, so I would recommend a qualifier.

A qualifier does make sense I think, however, I think it is better to have no
qualifier on the desktop version, than a silly one (I don't like the silly
ones you mentioned at all :))

>   Komo or Koto for "Kontact Touch"

I, as a user see Komo and think: What? What does it do? Pets aren't allowed in
my flat. I see "Kontact Touch" and I (kind of) know what we are talking about,
a contact manager with a touch enabled interface.

So as a general rule of thumb, I would not go with what KDE has been doing a
lot (it's getting a lot better though!), i.e. use a name that has a K in it
but no reference to what the program actually does in the name itself (even if
the non-abbreviated version of the name does).

Alex