[Kde-pim] branding "Kontact"

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Nov 10 09:26:09 GMT 2010

Dear KDEPIMler,

as this nice functionality we have in our current trunk is getting more
and more mature, the question comes up how to communicate about it.

Recently Volker and I wondered by there was so little response about
the branding thread in September here in kde-pim at .
Maybe it got overlooked that it was about Kontact because it said "mobile" in
the name. Crossposting to three lists and asking for followup on promo@
might not have helped the situation. So let us a chat here on kde-pim at .

How should we call our products to the wider community of KDE,
Free Software people and others?

The idea I had is to have one strong brand for what I perceive is the main
product, Kontact. So there are two variants the one running on desktops with
larger screens and a mouse, and the one for touch screen handling and smaller
screens.

Personally I believe we should use the refactoring and modernisation of the
architecture as a point to switch and to talk about one product and hide the
technical details of backend (e.g. akonadi, resources) and frontends (email,
calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, ...).

The suggestion in September made was "Kontact" and "Kontact Mobile"
and got used in the (contract funded) acitivites to create groupware suite
for the HTC Touch Pro2 (and Maemo) so far.

A few days I ago I've got this idea that using
"Kontact Touch" and "Kontact HD" might be even better as they are more
specific. The mouse workable Kontact just needs a higher definition
and more screenspace to actually be useful and the finger version can of
course also be used on larger non-mobile devices. Of course, both variants
are mobile.

Anywhere there are a number of questions here and I believe we should make
up our mind as the KDEPIM initiative. Success of our products and our
community depends on how we talk about it and how people now distance will
understand what our fine products can do. Of course we cannot hide the
technology nor can we hide the technical history. And we do not want to. :)

For reference, I am citing the two mails that went to kde-pim in September:

m Dienstag, 7. September 2010 16:48:17 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> Am Donnerstag, 12. August 2010 10:59:53 schrieb Cornelius Schumacher:
> > On Thursday 12 August 2010 01:03:22 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> > > Personally, I see KDE PIM more as a work group and Kontact as the
> > > product.
> >
> > That's exactly what the KDE PIM community decided a couple of years ago.
> > Kontact is the brand for the product used in external communication. KDE
> > PIM is the name of the community creating Kontact.
>
> Am Sonntag, 15. August 2010 21:05:10 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> > I agree that this should be communicated more intensively.
> > "Kontact" does not seem to be the coolest name a software family
> > like this could have, but it is way better than "KDE PIM", *pim or
> > *groupware in my view.
> >
> > Now that we are close to getting Kontact-Mobile somewhere and the next
> > generation of Kontact out for Desktops (fully Akonadi ported),
> > if we wanted to rebrand Kontact or use several brands for the KDE PIM
> > applications, this would be a good opportunity.
> > (Which was pointed out to my by Till and he's right.)
>
> So I guess it will be "Kontact-Mobile" with
> several frontends for Mail, Calender, Contacts, Tasks, Notes.
>
> The question is "Kontact-Mobile" or "Kontact Mobile"?
> And then how to to label the frontends. Something short rules,
> so my favourite is: "Mail" for mail, but I cannot decide
> for "Events", "Organizer" or "Calender". Maybe "Calender".
> What about "Contacts" vs "Addresses"?
> Or "Tasks" vs "Todos"?
>
> > Note that for Kontact-Mobile on N900 there actually is not going to be
> > any KDE Kontact anymore in the orginal sense as there is no overview
> > shell as a bracket for all the applications. They stand on their own, so
> > it would be something like "Kontact-Mobile Mail", "Kontact-Mobile
> > Organizer" or "Kontact-Mobile Addressbook", probably even abbreviated to
> > "Mail", "Organizer", "Addresses" or so. Given the technical possibilities
> > of Akonadi, we probably will see recognition of single application like
> > KMail and KOrgnizer erode as their functionality is distributed more and
> > more through out a KDE Desktop. This is why I guess it would be better to
> > even use one brand to strenghten all those applications under one
> > umbrella and currently "Kontact" is the best brand we have for it as far
> > as I can say.
[..]

Am Montag, 13. September 2010 15:29:31 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> Am Dienstag, 7. September 2010 17:31:04 schrieb Thomas Thym:
> > My favorites:
> > Kontact Mobile
> > Mail
> > Calendar (with "a" instead of "e")
> > Contacts
> > Tasks
>
> As Cornelius also favoured them, I'll go with them so far.
[..]

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.