[Kde-pim] Re: KDE PIM and mobile device sync

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 7 11:49:38 GMT 2010

On Sunday 07 November 2010, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 11:23, Dinesh <saidinesh5 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > All the KDE Specific fields are actually VCard's private extensions
> > ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCard). Adding support for them in
> > syncevolution shouldn't be much of a work. Once done, if the other
> > device doesnt support these extensions, they will be preserved
> > during the sync.
>
> I am aware of that, but although the data will not be lost, the
> "other device" will not support these fields, so whether or not the
> data is there, it will be unreadable. Such data is probably better
> off in the Notes field. In fact, it would be nice if it would get
> moved there automatically, transparently at sync time.

Two remarks:
- If the data is moved to the Notes field then, when synching the other
way, the data will be duplicated in the Notes field and in the KDE
specific fields.
- I think it's a very bad idea to restrict ourselves to the lowest
common denominator just because some devices do not support fields that
give a clear benefit to the users of KAddressBook. When looking at
contacts stored on the SIM card of my mobile phone then the lowest
common denominator would be a name and a single phone number.

Regards,
Ingo