[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/kmail

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Thu May 27 21:25:15 BST 2010

Hi,

On Thursday 27 May 2010 16:31:18 Laurent Montel wrote:
> Put offline agentinstance when we close kmail.
> I don't want that email is always download when I
> don't use kmail

Please revert this for now.
When you restart KMail, all agents are set to offline, which causes strange
bugs like the local folder resource not delivering items.

The proper solution would be to do this on the server side: If the last
application that uses email has closed the connection to the Akonadi server,
then set the agents to offline. If the first application starts using the
server for email, then put the agents online (could be detected e.g. by
checking for a CollectionFetchJob with the rfc822 mimetype, or with a special
command, although that is not very robust).
Other possibilities: Use D-Bus calls to the control process, although this is
not crash-resistant. Other suggestions were creating a dedicated KDED module.

I am not sure if we should do this, as Tobias opposed this when we talked
about it. I'm in favor though, as some people might not like that the system
checks the email without an email application running. CC'ing the mailing
list, as this might be of more general interest.

Regards,
Thomas