[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri May 28 19:23:55 BST 2010

On Friday 28 May 2010, laurent Montel wrote:
> On Jeudi 27 Mai 2010 23:17:36 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Thursday 27 May 2010, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Please revert this for now.
> > > When you restart KMail, all agents are set to offline, which
> > > causes strange bugs like the local folder resource not
> > > delivering items.
> > >
> > > The proper solution would be to do this on the server side: If
> > > the last application that uses email has closed the connection
> > > to the Akonadi server, then set the agents to offline. If the
> > > first application starts using the server for email, then put
> > > the agents online (could be detected e.g. by checking for a
> > > CollectionFetchJob with the rfc822 mimetype, or with a special
> > > command, although that is not very robust).
> > > Other possibilities: Use D-Bus calls to the control process,
> > > although this is not crash-resistant. Other suggestions were
> > > creating a dedicated KDED module.
> > >
> > > I am not sure if we should do this, as Tobias opposed this when
> > > we talked about it. I'm in favor though, as some people might
> > > not like that the system checks the email without an email
> > > application running. CC'ing the mailing list, as this might be
> > > of more general interest.
> >
> > I would definitely want my system to check for mail as soon as I
> > log in, so that the mail has already been downloaded and properly
> > filtered when I fire up KMail.
> >
> > What is the problem you are trying to fix? What's the actual reason
> > behind this?
>
> The problem is that for end-user will not understand that all email
> is download when kmail is closed.
> By default with kmail1/evolution/mozilla-mail when we close theses
> applications, we don't download email.
>
> So if people as me, keep his kde environment login in my home, and
> try to get email in my office, I will not have my email.
> (concret example: home I have a pop3 for kde emails, and at my office
> I use imap to look at them).
> Now how we can explain to users that "sorry you keep your kde
> environment up so sorry you can have your email wait this night to
> read them"
>
> It's not an acceptable solution.
>
> This method works when we have just one computer and that's all, but
> when we want to read email in several computer (with pop3) it's not
> a valid solution.

IMHO the idea to use POP3 for reading mail in several computers is
braindead. POP3 was not designed to be used this way. OTOH, IMAP was
specifically designed for this use case.

It is not acceptable to hamper people using sensible mail protocols just
because some people insist on using POP3. Also, why don't you simply
tell KMail to leave the messages on the POP3 for a week or so?

If you really need this feature then make it configurable.

Regards,
Ingo