[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu May 27 22:17:36 BST 2010

On Thursday 27 May 2010, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 27 May 2010 16:31:18 Laurent Montel wrote:
> > Put offline agentinstance when we close kmail.
> > I don't want that email is always download when I
> > don't use kmail
>
> Please revert this for now.
> When you restart KMail, all agents are set to offline, which causes
> strange bugs like the local folder resource not delivering items.
>
> The proper solution would be to do this on the server side: If the
> last application that uses email has closed the connection to the
> Akonadi server, then set the agents to offline. If the first
> application starts using the server for email, then put the agents
> online (could be detected e.g. by checking for a CollectionFetchJob
> with the rfc822 mimetype, or with a special command, although that
> is not very robust).
> Other possibilities: Use D-Bus calls to the control process, although
> this is not crash-resistant. Other suggestions were creating a
> dedicated KDED module.
>
> I am not sure if we should do this, as Tobias opposed this when we
> talked about it. I'm in favor though, as some people might not like
> that the system checks the email without an email application
> running. CC'ing the mailing list, as this might be of more general
> interest.

I would definitely want my system to check for mail as soon as I log in,
so that the mail has already been downloaded and properly filtered when
I fire up KMail.

What is the problem you are trying to fix? What's the actual reason
behind this? The only sensible reason I can think of is on-demand dial-
up connections where one has to pay per minute (or whatever). But this
is no sensible reason either because the proper solution for this is the
network manager (or whatever else one uses to control the online/offline
status of the whole system). It is a no-brainer that remote Akonadi
resources shouldn't check for new mail when the system is switched to
offline mode.

Based on the little information I have I'm with Tobias, i.e. I'm opposed
to this because I think it's the wrong solution for the wrong problem.

Regards,
Ingo