[Kde-pim] KDE/kdepim/kmail

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat May 29 11:36:13 BST 2010

On Saturday 29 May 2010, Dr. Robert Marmorstein wrote:
> > IMHO the idea to use POP3 for reading mail in several computers is
> > braindead. POP3 was not designed to be used this way. OTOH, IMAP
> > was specifically designed for this use case.
>
> I agree.  The problem is that some of us only have POP3 access to our
> ISP's mail server (my ISP is stuck in the stone ages and doesn't
> provide IMAP -- and the probably never will, because they want to
> force users to their webmail -- they make money off the banner ads).
>  I've worked around this by running my own local mail server (which
> provides IMAP), but not everyone can do that.  I also avoid using
> that particular mail account for anything I care about...
>
> It's sad that the world works this way, but I suspect there are lots
> of other users who are "trapped" into using POP3 connections.  And
> it really does mess with your workflow when mail is being fetched,
> not by your mail program which you can directly control, but by some
> background process you are only tangentially aware of.
>
> Maybe the best solution is to add API so that client applications
> (kmail, plasma's mail notifier, anything else using Akonadi) can
> request that all agents go offline.  They could then expose this
> functionality in the user interface using a "turn off background
> fetch" menu option, button, or a "turn off background fetch on exit"
> setting?  It would be even better if such an option could be set
> per-resource.

Yes, I think something like this is a good solution. If people have to
remember to shutdown KMail to prevent Akonadi from downloading mail (as
they have to do in the scenario described by Laurent) then they can
equally well remember to switch KMail/Akonadi to offline mode. We can
still make configurable that Akonadi automatically goes offline if there
are no clients running anymore.

Regards,
Ingo