[Kde-pim] New release of KBBDB

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat May 29 11:57:38 BST 2010

On Saturday 29 May 2010, Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) wrote:
> On Saturday 29 May 2010, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > >
> > > That would be a great pity.  I need the ability to update the
> > > addressbook from addresses in received mails (apart from Emacs,
> > > any web- based mail service has this).  If there is no
> > > reasonable workaround I'd have to abandon KMail in favour of a
> > > client that lets me scrape addresses from incoming mails...
> > > perhaps back to Emacs/GNUS.
> >
> > You could work around this problem in KBBDB by filtering every
> > message through KBBDB and then checking in KBBDB if the sender's
> > address is already in the address book.
>
> Hypothetically, yes.  However that would mean adding another layer of
> KDE functionality to KBBDB, and as I noted earlier the moving target
> and lack of scriptability (please note: scriptability !=
> programmability) of KDE as it evolves makes that an unsavoury task.
>
> KBBDB was meant to be a simple little script, and with KDE 3.x it
> was. Then I had to add functionality to check the KDE version.  Then
> I had to add 3 different interfaces for adding a contact to the
> address book.  At the moment I'm not at all keen on making it a
> full-fledged application that binds closely with KDE using a compat
> library.
>
> I've been using KDE since 1.x circa 1994 or so (you had no option but
> to spend 3 hours compiling from source on your sucky 486 then), and
> I'm sorry to say that I've never had as many problems with it as
> with 4.x, and those problems are continuing.  Given the option I'd
> downgrade to 3.x without a second thought.  Unfortunately distro
> makers don't offer that option anymore.

Hmm, not sure why you think you'll have to use anything other than
kabcclient which you are already using now.

You can use kabcclient's --search option to check whether there's
already an entry for an email address. The following command line will
add an entry for <email address> if there isn't an entry already:

  kabcclient --search <email address> 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null || \
  kabcclient --add <email address>

Regards,
Ingo