[Kde-pim] IMAP/Pop3 Config UIs

Frank Thieme frank at fthieme.net
Sun Mar 28 16:04:27 BST 2010

On Sonntag, 28. März 2010 15:55:08 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Sunday 28 March 2010, Frank Thieme wrote:
> > I guess it should be "SSL/TLS" and "STARTTLS" like other eMail
> > programs do have.
>
> Which other mail clients? I don't think Thunderbird has this neither
> does Outlook. Also, most providers I know talk about SSL and TLS on
> their pages where they explain how to setup the mail accounts, but I've
> never seen anybody mentioning STARTTLS.

Thunderbird (at least 3) has exactly the choice "None", "SSL/TLS" and
"STARTTLS". But I believe I have seen this elsewhere, too. Just can't remember
where.

> The tooltip should simply state that the user should use whatever
> autodetect proposes unless this choice does not work.

At least that does not work on smtp.1und1.de, but in a bad way. Autodetect
says nothing is possible, making a choice impossible. IIRC I couldn't even
select that I have to authenticate there...

Bye...Frank