[Kde-pim] IMAP/Pop3 Config UIs

Frank Thieme frank at fthieme.net
Sun Mar 28 19:44:10 BST 2010

On Sunday 28 March 2010 20:07:36 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> Okay. Thunderbird 2 definitely did not. I don't believe that any user is
> going to understand what STARTTLS is supposed to be. The 1&1 Hilfe-
> Center mentions STARTTLS on 3 pages, but there are 8 pages talking about
> SSL/TLS. In particular, the page explaining in detail how to setup your
> email client (http://hilfe-center.1und1.de/hosting/email/9.html) doesn't
> mention STARTTLS at all. I don't think that it was a very smart move by
> the Thunderbird developers to confront the user with settings which
> differ significantly from the settings in TB 2.
>
> Unless there are really compelling reasons for doing so we shouldn't
> follow TB's example.

I think this won't be seen by the normal user, that just has one email
account, as the account wizard hides that. This wizard has its flaws though...
Google mail help mentions STARTTLS:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78799

Speaking of myself I'm against of hiding all technical details of anything, at
least if there is no sane way to access those settings when you really need
them.

> Well, obviously autodetect needs to be improved then. Do you know
> whether there's a bug report for this?

I didn't look for it yet, but I will.

> I'm anyway in favor of providing a list of settings for the most
> important providers so that all the user has to do is enter his email
> address and a password in a suitable account setup assistant. But, of
> course, that's a totally different story.

What are the most important? I guess there is a different answer for each
country. And they are changing...

The TB3 wizard tries to find out the combination of incoming and outgoing mail
servers himself and fails miserably on my setup. Thats ok. What is not ok, is
that there is no really easy way to tell him to shut up and just let me put in
those values as I know better than you do. Thats the downside with all of
those wizards.