[Kde-pim] Git migration rules

Thomas McGuire mcguire at kde.org
Mon Mar 8 19:13:41 GMT 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 06 March 2010 22:53:40 Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> as some of you might have heard I am working on writing the rules for
> kdepim[libs].

Great, thanks :)

> I now have some questions...
>
> 1: For the modules that used to live in kdepim but have since moved to
> kdepimlibs, should they be included in the kdepim git repository or just in
> the kdepimlibs one?

I don't see any advantage in including the kdepimlibs history in the kdepim
Git repo.
However, it might be necessary to include it partly, so that the history of
the KDE3-based branches is complete.

For example, the kcal library lived in kdepim in KDE3, so at least the history
of the kcal library until it mas moved to kdepimlibs in KDE4 should be
included, otherwise the history for the KDE3-based branches would be
incomplete.
Including the history of kcal after it was moved to kdepimlibs in the kdepim
Git repo probably doesn't make sense.

On the other side, the kdepimlibs Git history of kcal should be complete, i.e.
it should include the history of kcal when it was in the kdepim module during
KDE3 times as well. Same for all other kdepimlibs libraries of course.

There is one special exception: The kabc library used to be in kdelibs, until
it was moved to kdepimlibs in KDE4. The kdepimlibs Git repo should include the
history of the time when kabc was in kdelibs.

Other stuff actually lived in the kdenetwork module, for example KMail. That
history should also be included if possible.

> 2: Does anyone know what (if any) submodules that have been deleted and
> when this happened (or when they existed)?

Hmm, I guess there is lots of stuff. Korn or Kitchensync, for example. Why is
the list important, what is it used for?
It might be the best to check the SVN history for deleted and moved-away files
with a script.

> 3: Does anyone know what branches exist (and existed) that should be
> included in the git repositories? I have rules that should match any
> branches that have kdepim or kdepimlibs in there name.

Ok, here a list of branches I remember, roughly ordered by importance:
enterprise
	branches/kdepim/enterprise
enterprise4
	branches/kdepim/enterprise4
akonadi-ports
	branches/work/akonadi-ports
kdab-post-4.0 branch
	branches/work/kdab-post-4.0
proko2
	branches/kdepim/proko2
summer of code branches
	branches/kdepim/soc
	branches/kdepim/kmail-soc
various playground projects (?)
3.5.5+ feature branch
	branches/work/kdepim-3.5.5+
scalix branch
	branches/kdepim/scalix
make-it-cool branch (?)
osnabrück branch (?)

> 4: Anyone knows how to test if the generated git repositories include all
> history they should?

Hmm, maybe check the annotations of some files to see if they seem ok.

Regards,
Thomas